Pages

7.24.2011

Requiem for a Rabbit

This week has been unbelievably exhausting. I won't get into the deeper issues right now, but I do want to get some of these feelings out, so I'll tell you about what just happened. Today, my rabbit died. Lover and I pet him as he died, trying to make him comfortable as faded away. 
His name was Jovi. Last year Lover and I broke up for lots of different reasons so I bought a bunny. We were a rabbit family growing up, so it felt right to get a furry little one to love on and play with. He was awesome. He was beautiful, a shiny brown coat with black tipped ears and a patch of red on the back of his neck. He never bit. When I fed him I would stand at his open cage watching him hop around checking everything out. Unless you've had a rabbit it's hard to understand how fun they are to watch, and Jovi had a huge personality. He became our little-one in a lot of ways when Lover built him a hutch this winter.

Jov, I'm sorry I wasn't better. I love you.

First picture when I picked him up.

Introducing him to my family. He fit in my sweatshirt pocket.


Mom and Dad bought him a leash.

Taking him for a walk in the snow.

Just chilling in my room.

Enjoying the summer grass.


2 comments:

  1. Hey,

    I'm visiting from seeing your post on 20SB.

    My bunny Ellie died last year. I got her to fill a void in my life as well. She died a year after I got her from some kind of disease that caused her to be in a lot of pain.

    It was possibly one of the most emotionally draining weeks of my life. I also wished I'd been better to her. In her last couple of months, I ignored her in favor of spending time with friends.

    I miss her often. It's such a hard thing to lose a pet, especially one so sweet and meek. I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry about your rabbit. Losing a beloved pet is never easy. :(

    ReplyDelete